Friday, August 29, 2008

Belt test

For those of you who have been demanding it, here is the proof. I really do karate now! Can you believe it? This is me, testing with the five year olds to get my yellow belt. I still need to work on my kicks, but boy can I look fierce otherwise! 

For those of you who may not know, I now work as an instructor at Central Texas Family Karate. Most of the kids I work with are elementary age, and I have really been enjoying my job. Summer camp just ended, and my school year schedule is noon to about 7:15. During that time I attend the private class with the other instructors, pick up kids from school (more on that later), help instruct their class, and attend a night class during which I may or may not help instruct. The night class allows other students to help instruct, as well. So that's 3 hours of karate in a day, which keeps me active!

I am also learning to drive a bus. I was going to be a backup driver, but now I'm going to be the main deal. The woman hired to drive my bus route discovered (the day before school started and we start pick-up) that she couldn't drive due to 5 of her prescriptions. Any one of them alone wouldn't allow her to drive. So it was very inconvenient timing, but we're making it work! I'm studying this weekend for my written test, and I've already been behind the wheel. I'm a bit nervous about one of the school's set ups where I will be picking up, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I have been thrown into a lot very fast, really! I had to test for my yellow belt within a week and a half, I am now training to be the dependable bus driver, and now I am the highest ranked instructor since another girl just unexpectedly had to move. Being a yellow belt and highest ranked is sad, and puts even more pressure on me to advance quickly. I can only teach my belt and below. Things are working out, though, and will continue to. Like I said, I am honestly enjoying the job! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so fun! mom