Monday, September 15, 2008

the weekend.

This weekend Hurricane Ike passed over us, with less fortitude than was expected. Of course, that was just in our area. Along the Gulf, places like Galveston were hit badly. However, I haven't heard of any casualties yet. Waco was expecting some heavy rain Saturday and Sunday, along with some wind. The most we saw was mild rain and wind on Saturday, and clearing, sunny skies on Sunday. 

All this to say... Ron and I like to take walks on the weekend, and despite the grim weather outlook, Ron dragged me out of the house Saturday morning. It looked like it was only gray out, or sprinkling lightly. As we marched along, the wind increased and the rain with it. My idea of a leisurely walk does not involve pressing my head into the wind and getting rained on, but we had a wonderful time anyway! Ron composed a little tune about our adventure, and I laughed as only a wife who is truly in love can. 

Sunday we took a walk, too, though, and it was pretty nice out. We took one of our long walk routes, which leads around a long country circle of houses filled with people that don't bother keeping their pets in line. For a town who doesn't bother to install sidewalks, it shouldn't surprise me that the surrounding country roads aren't geared toward active people. For the second time now, we had a dog follow us all the way back to our house. She has a collar, no tags. She had been following some other walkers, who, when we came upon them, demanded to know if this was our dog. I'm not sure what the lady would have done to us if it had been, but she changed her tone when she found out we were mere innocent walkers ourselves. I feel a little sorry for the dog, having owners that don't seem to care about it. But I don't feel that sorry, because it runs in front of me and stops, breaking my stride. I will have none of that, and I think we're going to take another route next time.

We also went bowling this weekend, and I am learning to be a better sport. Ron says it's good for me. Since we've gotten into bowling, I get very competitive with myself. I get upset when I don't do well, and yesterday I didn't even get close to my personal best (180). However, I did better yesterday because before we even went Ron let me know that if I have a bad attitude and forget that "it's just a game", "we're supposed to be having fun", then we would go home. I did well. Ron also took me to Starbucks and Panera this weekend, and we generally enjoyed spoiling each other, having long conversations, and reading together. We also watched Cast Away, which I had never seen all of. I cried. 

Also, I am one belt higher, as I tested last Friday for Advanced Yellow. yay :)  

2 comments:

Nate said...

So as you approach an enemy, are you obligated by your sense of honor to explain that your belt is "Advanced Yellow" and not just "Yellow"? You know, so they know what they're up against.

Joanna Goodman said...

I let my work speak for itself... The minute I try my aun sahn mok soo on them, they know.