Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Goodman family update :)

Just a little update, to let you know how we've been doing...

James is a wonderful baby! He cries when necessary, but is really a pretty laid back kid. He eats well, and sleeps well, and loves to be around Mom and Dad. To be honest, I thought the transition would be harder than it has been. It's tiring being up during the night so often, but I'd like to think that even after only a week we are developing some sort of routine, and he is not a night owl, so we do get a decent amount of rest. Ron has been home this whole time, and has been helping me to rest up. He's been taking very good care of us. He is so natural at being a dad, it blesses my heart to see. We all knew he would be a great dad, but now he is and I love how he loves his son.

Tonight and through Friday evening Ron is out of town on a business trip. The timing is less than ideal, but it was an important trip that only comes around once a year, and since the baby was born a week ago we had decided that I would be ok by myself by now. The truth is, I am! For the most part! I have two friends, Ashley and Cara, that are offering to take care of me and James every waking (or sleeping) hour if need be! It is so good to have that assurance that someone is close by thinking about me and keeping their phone near in case I need someone. A lot of other people have also let me know that they're willing to bring stuff over or get anything I may need... Ashley came over to visit today and we had a wonderful time. She helped with some household chores, and then we just hung out and talked all afternoon :) Tomorrow Cara and Ashley will be coming over and we'll have a girls day :) In addition to all the helpfulness with having people around while I'm recovering and taking care of James, this will also help with the loneliness from missing Ron. I am going to enjoy the next couple of days even while I look forward to getting my husband back. Ron is going to take off next week, too, and maybe do half days the week after that, we'll see how we all feel.

My mom is coming down next week! We are really looking forward to that :) I am feeling so much better only a week after the birth that two weeks out sounds great and I think we will be up to doing some more things and taking a couple outings to uncrowded places :)

Since I have previously blogged (perhaps excessively) about the merits of natural birth, I must touch on this! I will perhaps expound in a future post, but I am pleased and blessed to have had a natural birth. I went into labor before I even expected to (though I was already 40 weeks and 6 days) and the timing was perfect. God's perfect timing. For so many reasons I had opted out of getting pain medication during birth, and I did not have to be induced, either. It was not more than I could bear. After birth, I have been taking some pain meds, so I feel like I'm cheating a little. But I am much more comfortable taking some pain relievers that are considered to be safe during breastfeeding than while in labor. My thoughts are that now that James is not inside of me, the risks and situation has changed. The pain medicine I am now taking won't enter directly into his blood stream, and any trace amount he may get will be filtered quite a bit through my milk and, as best as I know, only make him a little drowsy at the worst. I did, however, quit taking one of the medications today, and hope to be done with the other one in another week or so. It's amazing how God designed our bodies and how resilient we are! When I think about what just happened, what James and I both went through last week, it amazes me.

I love to look at him and hold him and touch him. I love that he is a part of me and a part of Ron, and that God made him just perfectly. I am still amazed!

Off to get to bed now and take care of my baby. MY baby! MY son!! Thank you, Jesus, for this gift!

No comments: