Friday, February 26, 2010

fun with fondant!



So, I decided I wanted to try making a really cool and smooth looking fondant decorated cake! I have a friend, Jen, who makes the most gorgeous cakes and I got a bit inspired. It was a lot of fun to try fondant, and exciting really to roll out the frosting :) I think this is pretty good for a first attempt. I went ahead and sold it at the church silent auction bake sale (people actually bid on it, which was thrilling!)... I cheated on the cake because it is from a box mix, but very delicious and moist. I didn't want to make something dry. Jen's cakes not only look great but they taste AMAZING. So she has agreed to give me some "cake lessons" (if you will). Nate, do you remember that guy in those videos that always said that? "If you will..." Anyway, we're both looking forward to it, so Ron and I will be going over to their place a week from Sunday. I will bake and glean knowledge, Ron will watch a movie with her husband, Tom. It took me a long time to make this cake. Ron said the cake had seen me more that week than him! (not sure if that's true, but he did have to work Saturday again. I get him home this weekend!) And those little beads are really covering a multitude of sins. I don't know how to make nice corners yet!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey Jo! I hope you don't mind that I found your blog through Cara's. I think you did an awesome job on the cake.

Joie said...

That cake looks so cool! Good job! Can I come and eat your cool-looking delicious cakes?! I WISH. The pictures are lots of fun- thanks for posting all of these.

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous!
Ruthy

Cara said...

It is soooo beautiful!

Joanna Goodman said...

thanks for praise words :) everyone!

Ashley, now I'm going to stalk your blog, too :) of course I don't mind!

Joie and Ruthy, we should make a cake together this summer! In fact we'll have a good reason, we need to plan a birthday party for Ron :)

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful cake! Thanks for sharing the photos!
MaryGrace

Nate said...

I sure do remember the guy. Those were the days, I miss our homeschool. And your cake is very impressive.

jsmarslender said...

Wow, Jo. Just saw this. (My blog roll doesn't always update that someone's updated...) Really neat!